Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sunday's Ride

As I didn't get enought cycling or climbing on Saturday's ride, I decided I was going to gou out and ride again on Sunday. Actually, when I woke up, I wasn't really in a cycling mood, but what else was I going to do? I didn't have a gate access card so I couldn't go to work, I don't have a car so I can't really go anywhere, and I don't have internet access in my room so I wasn't going to browse the web. Hence, more croissant's and nutella for breakfast and then out the door. I had done a little searching online for where to ride in the area around Grenoble and came across on pretty decent site with a few nice routes. There is this nice "reginal park" called Parc Naturel Regional de Chartreuse bordering the north side of Grenoble, and there are a number of nice Col's encompassed by this area. So, on the recommendation of this website, that's where I headed. I wasn't sure how my legs were going to feel after saturday's epic ride and they were a little sluggish at first, but then came around and felt pretty good after I warmed up. I rode into the center of Grenoble and then North through La Tronche. This is where the climbing started. I knew it was going to be a tough day, as I had been up the first climb on a shorter ride and the website (http://www.grenoblecycling.com/the-Chartreuse-Route2.htm) I took the route from mentioned that the final ascent had sustained sections of 16%. So, I started up the 16 K stretch to the Col du Porte. This is a beautiful stretch of road that climbs at 8-10% right out of the center of Grenoble, through a number of towns, and finally summits in a beautiful are surrounded by a couple cafe's and lots of nice looking hiking trails. There were, again, lots of cyclist going up and coming down, not to mention quite a few hikers at the top. The descent down the backside was fast and fun, not to mention very pretty. There is one pic below of an old building that I believe was an ore processing facility. The picture doesn't do it justice, as it was probably 5 times as large as the part you can see, with buildings on both sides of the road. Clearly, not still used, but cool to see. After arriving in St. Laurent du-Pont, I made a wrong turn and accidently rode south instead of north. I figured this out about 25 minutes later (all climbing) and turned around. The return trip to St. laurent du Pont only took 15 minutes, and I was soon back on track heading north towards Entre-deux-Guiers and then east alont the Gorges du Guiers Vif river. After a little flat riding, I climbed into St Pierre d'Entremont, where I really wanted to stop for a crepe...but I didn't. I then turned south and the roads pitched up again as I approached the Col du Cucheron, maybe another 8 k of climbing. This, too, was very pretty, and there is a pic or two below looking up to the tunnel the road goes through. The descent down the backside of the Col du Cucheron was again, fast and fun, and at this point I was unsure whether or not I wanted to tackle my proposed final ascent up the steeps of the Col du Coq. But once I arrived at the appropriate turn and had only been riding for 4:10, I had to do it. The climb was 16 k long with the first two at 8-10%. The next two k were a little flatter, but then I turned onto what could have been considered 1 lane, out of repair, road and the grades kicked up. With the exception of a k or so near the top, the grades were pretty tough, but the scenery was awesome. In fact, near the top there was a ski area with some open pastures...a picture perfect scene. I didn't stop to take pictures, but I should have. I finally reached the top, and was quite happy to stop pushing a 39-25 at 45 rpm and 260 watts. I felt much better than I did when climbing Alpe d'Huez (as that was the my first long ride in a while), but a low cadence sure does a number on the ole legs. There is one pic below from the top of the Col du Coq. There were tons of hickers at the top, and as I started down the backside, it started to sprinkle. I was a little worried that it was going to be a cold and slippery trip down, but it quickly quit raining and cruised most of the way. The descent really was great, particularily after I got off the top sections and onto a little wider roads. As I was descending, all I could think think about was how fast Salvodelli would take all the tight switchbacks. I really did feel like a Euro pro...it was great. Finally, I arrived in the town of St. Nazaire les Eymes, crossed the freeway and headed southwest back home. 6:15 ride time (not including stops), 4000 calories, average cadence of 70! Ouch. ~7500 ft of elevation (not too bad there). Enjoy the pics.

The end of the mining building I mentiones
Yep, that's where I'm headed. Right through the rock.
Like I said. Very cool.
Ahhh, snow on the peaks looking south from the Col du Coq.
I was a little tired at the top, but you can see that there was lots of luch foliage going up and down the mountain. I, in fact, haven't been above the tree line yet. Ventoux????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much as I enjoy gear shift-by-shift accounts of your bike trips, you might consider crafting a post for some non-cycling friends where you discuss some other aspect of life abroad and its effect on the Jmac. Like food. Or chicks.

Also, that self-photo would be a perfect advert. if you decide to get start an webcam service.

-Porten

kangway said...

Yo, I love reading your posts. Just out of curiousity, where'd you buy your powertap and how much was it? I'm thinking about getting one myself. I hear ebay is reasonably good for deals...