Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Bike Paths and Battlestar Gallicta

Just some random stuff today. Nothing too exciting going on, other than lab work. With all the emails flying recently about the Rose Bowl ride and cyclists in Pasadena, I thought I would share my own experience yesterday of getting yelled at by a French motorist. Most drivers here are incredibly courteous to cyclists, and most cyclists here almost completely ignore any sort of traffic sign or signal. If there aren't any cars, you're clear to go. But, I was riding down a wide road which leads to and from where the lab is, and a truck pulls up beside me, and the guy inside is furiously yelling and waving his hand at me. Now, his window was up so I couldn't hear what he was saying, and it's not like I would have understood it anyway, but the message was something like "You idiot! Get off the road! There is a bike lane right there! Use it!" Now, he may have had a valid point. There was a bike lane right up the curb, but I hate most bike paths for two reasons, and these apply to California, Minnesota, and France. First, I'm going faster than most people commuting, so riding on the bike bath is annoying. But secondly, and most importantly, is it impossible to make a smooth bike path? Is it really different thatn paving a road? Seriously, nearly every designated bike bath I have ridden on a road bike kills my butt and shoulders with the bumpiness and waviness. I'm suprised I haven't gotten sea sick.

On a final note, I downloaded the Battlestar Gallactica Miniseries from iTunes yesterday and watched them last night. Fantastic! I'm hooked, and will now need to buy the other seasons. I'm just contenplating whether I should buy them from iTunes or on DVD when I get home.

Later!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

I was on PAA web site and saw a post about your BLOG I did not know that you where in France. What a great time of year to be there. Are you going to get a chance to check out some of the Tour it is a sight to see. I hope all is well and you are getting some time out of the lab to enjoy your self.

Take Care,
Brent Robinson

John McKeen said...

Yeah, I'm going to catch a couple of the mountain stages. There is one that finished in Braincon I'm hoping to make it too, and maybe one of the other mountain stages on the weekend prior to the first rest day. I'm exicted to see it!

Anonymous said...

Download the first season of "Heroes" from iTunes. It's brilliant!

J said...

hey jmac!!! so alec pointed out your blog and the fact that some guy in your earlier comments stole my nickname for you. yes alec is that much of a stalker. you should be afraid. very afraid. looking forward to your return stateside ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!