Tuesday, June 12, 2007

France – Day 2

After getting up around 10 am (jet lag sucks, by the way) I took the insurance form I got yesterday and went to the secretary. This actually took a lot of motivation as I’m apprehensive to try to communicate with people, as I can’t even break sentences in French into words. The liaison (combining the end of one word with the beginning of the next), along with the fact that I just know nothing, makes it really hard for me to pick out words. But, I went and say the secretary (three students, actually) who knew what I wanted based on the forms I handed them, and I paid for my months rent (thank god for reimbursement). That over with, I decided it was time to check out the French countryside on my bike. I thought I would try to find Alpe d’Huez, which looked like it was about 20 miles from on google maps, which I had checked before I left. So, throw on my kit, fill up my bottles, and off I go, not really knowing where I’m going, other than south and west. I ride along for a while and start seeing some signs I don’t understand. First, I see a circular one with a red outline and while interior with a bike in it. No line through it. I guessed that this sign meant “bikes are ok” but turned around anyway, as the road looked like the equivalent of a freeway. Good thing I did. There was a police officer right behind me, and that sign actually meant “bikes prohibited” So, I ended up on another road and started seeing blue triangular signs with bikes on them and a line through them, which I took to mean “bikes not allowed”. But after riding a little more and seeing a few more like this, I guessed that they actually meant “bike lane ends”. Turns out I was correct. In any case, I ended up riding back north past my residence and up some ridiculously steep road into one of the provincial parks. It was a beautiful ride up with a few cafés along the way. I really wanted to stop, but am still apprehensive about not speaking much French. Truthfully, I could order a coffee, but still. I rode for almost 3 hours, and then took a nap when I got home. After my nap, I went back to the grocery store, found maps, silverware, and some more great French food. The bread is awesome! The cheese is good, too. I really wish I had a full kitchen, because the selection of fresh meat and seafood is really great. They are expensive, as are the fruits and vegetables, but look so good. I’ve also been reading the ingredients on things, and it seems to me that they use fewer or no preservatives. Haven’t had the milk yet, but I’m going to try that next. I did buy one bottle of inexpensive Beaujolais (2.5 euros) and it was very good. In fact, most of the wine is only 3-8 euros. So, that was day 2.

No comments: