Tuesday, June 12, 2007

France – Day 1

After traveling for over 24 hours on two airplanes and two trains, and lugging two bags and my bike box some odd thousand miles, I finally arrived in Grenoble, France. My host, Alain, picked me up at the train station and took me to my room. I am staying in student housing in Grenoble, which has a number of universities. I feel like I am an undergraduate again, except I have a private bathroom and no internet in my room (which I really miss). After registering, Alain took me to the grocery store and I bought some food, etc. Frankly, I was so tired, I didn’t know why I was there and didn’t end up getting much but water, soda, and some cookies, which ended up being my dinner. Then I crashed. My second day, I had been instructed that I need to get on Tram B and take it one stop. Then, go to a place called SMERRA, which was apparently at this stop, to buy a 21 euro student insurance policy. I have no idea what it covers or why I needed it, but it was a requirement for staying where I am. Strangely, it doesn’t cover theft, so I don’t know what good it is. Rather than taking the tram, I decided to walk, as Alain said it wasn’t far, and I really didn’t know which way to take the tram. I had a crappy map, which I figured out after walking around for a couple hours. I also had no idea what time it was, as I could remember what time zone I was in, or how many hours different I was than whatever time zone I had come from. Finally, I figured out basically where I needed to go and walked there, realizing that I had almost been there not 45 minutes earlier. Once I found the general location (the tram station where I was supposed to get off the tram) I walked around until I stumbled upon a map of the local vicinity and located exactly where I needed to be, which, as it turns out., is 10 feet from the tram station. So, I arrive 15 minutes before they take lunch, and the lady fortunately speaks some English, because I speak almost no French. That taken care of, I took Tram B to the other side of Grenoble to where I though Alain said I could get maps in English. (A stop called Cite International, which I thought sounded promising) So I get off the tram and walk into the building only to find a bunch of kids running around. Well, after walking around the building, then walking down the street outside, walking back to the building and asking at the front desk, the place I was at was a school. This made sense from all the kids running around, but the outside of the building said some stuff in multiple languages, including English, which I thought was promising. I actually think that the lady I spoke with was a little embarrassed. I asked her, in French, if she spoke English, and she said a little and something about having worked at “Cite International” for 20 years, which I took to mean that she thought she should have spoken better English. As far as I was concerned, she spoke great English, as she understood what I was asking, although she didn’t know anything about maps. She was very nice, and I was a little embarrassed that my French was so bad. Truthfully, every French person I have spoken with knows more English thank I know French (enough to get the message across) and all say that they only know a little. After that, I took the tram back to my room and slept for a couple hours. Then got up, went to the grocery store, bought some stuff for dinner and breakfast the next day and went to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your insurance card is like most, it covers medical bills for anyone you decide to punch. Seriously. Most European unis require you to carry insurance against you being a jackass. You are probably covered for some other jackass related things, like your medical if you crash your bike drunk.

-Porten

John McKeen said...

Card, I should have been so lucky to get a card. All I got was a piece of paper, in French, of course. I hope my American Insurance covers me, should anything happen, like I get hit by a car while riding. I forgot to check on that before I left.