Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Criterium du Dauphine Libre

I never would have know had it not been for Alec’s email yesterday, but the Prologue for the Dauphine Libre was in downtown Grenoble today. Quite fortuitous, I must say. So, After setting my alarm for 7am with the intent to go on a nice 2 hour recover ride in the French countryside, I got up a 10:36am (I just can’t seem to kick the jet lag, fall asleep when I go to bed, and get up at a decent hour), had another breakfast of bread and jam and caught the tram into Grenoble. Now, I looked up where the course was, but even after translating the online flyer with a French to English dictionary, couldn’t decide what time the race actually started. I guessed 1pm, which seemed to make sense for a short prologue. Yeah, I was only about 3 hours off. So, I arrived downtown around noon, walked most of the course just to check it out. While doing so, the Astana team rolled past a couple times. I’ve included some pics below.

After walking the course, I still had like 2.5 hours to kill, although I didn’t really know it. I walked around a little more, and then started to get hungry. I must now admit that I broke my cardinal rule of international travel. I went to McDonalds. But, I picked it because I thought that they would have a public bathroom, which they didn’t. I attempted to order in French, which I thought I had effectively done when the kid taking my order said something I didn’t understand. I though he asked if I wanted anything else and I shook my head. Then he said something else and I again shook my head. Then he looked at me with a little bit of a surprised look and said, “No?” I was then forced to respond, in French, that I didn’t understand. Then he asked me in English to repeat my order, and things made sense. Apparently, even my best attempts at French, suck. But I got my chicken sandwich and diet coke and hustled back to my frontline fence spot. IN about another 45 minutes the racing started. The race was actually preceeded by a mini convoy which consisted mostly of Credit Agricole Cars giving out free hats. Yep, I got one. And wore it, along with about a thousand other people. The racing was cool. This is my first pro tour even, and these guys are really fit and look so comfortable on their bikes. Not to mention, I wish I was as skinny as any of them in a skin suit. Well, something to work for I guess. I’ll let a few pics do the rest of the talking. I took about 125 and will post the rest on fotki once I start an account. I’ll post the address later. I start in lab tomorrow, and am excited for that. More to come…


George Hincapie in the Stars and Stripes Jersey
A view for the 50 m mark.

Tommy D suffering to a not to impressive time.


"The man" Tom Boonen. He got a big cheer.
And one of my favorites, Dave Z out of the start.

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Oh my gosh, that is hella tight! How was the course? Were they on pavement or cobblies? Were there any crashes?

John McKeen said...

Yeah, no cobbles. Good pavement, so I don't think there were any crashes. It did rain in the beginning, though, so there could have been at the turn around. I was near the 300m to go mark, and all I can say is that some of the guys were flying!