Monday, December 17, 2007

Storm the Beach

I did my last cyclocross race of the season two weekend ago, and I must say, it's been a great season. Thanks to Jason and the whole Bearclaw team for introducing me to cross and a great season!




The course was truly different than any of the other courses this season with a few long straight aways that reminded my of why I love road racing. Get in the drops and lay down the power (if I had any, that is). The race oppened with maybe a K of mostly flat fireroad and there was definitely some fighting for position going into the first muddy section. I participated in said fighting and was happy with where I was going into the ridable lane through the mud. Unfortunaly, a couple of the riders in front of me slowed and I couldn't save my line, riding off the trail. At this point everyone passed me and I was left to fight my way as far up as I could get. It was particularly difficult to catch people as drafting was important, but I had a good time chasing and doing all I could to stay in front of Jason Siegel for the entire race (I was ultimately successful in this goal). After the muddy section, there was a section of deep sand leading to the straight away along the beach, and I full on crashed twice going into it. (over the bars, superman style). While it knocked the wind out of me the first time, the sand was soft and neither time really hurt.




I finished 10th overall and 8th in the P/1/2. Fritz finished 2nd, Lyle finished 4th ahead of Tony Criz and Jason finished a couple spots ahead of me.

Now, enjoy some pics and a video of me looking smooth over the barriers. Thanks to Brooke and Lyle for some of the footage!




I should also mention that I grew (or rather attempted to grow) a mustache for the race as all my team mates had also done so. Two weeks and what you see is all I got!













1 comment:

Lyle said...

Ha ha, good race John... you finally got to put some of that MTB skill to good use (except for the over the bars part) in the FAST downhill-full-on-into-the-sand part of the course. I didn't realize you had to come from behind after the first lap. I got lucky and only lost a few spots in that first deep sand before the beach.
Not as lucky as Lowetz though, he got catapulted right onto Prenzlows wheel.
I can't quite figure out why you look so much smoother over the barriers than anyone else Brooke filmed... something to do with "lanky-ness" I suppose. Damn my average height!